Friday, May 22, 2009

I'm Back!

I know that you have all been on pins and needles... waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting... for another all inspiring post. Okay maybe nobody really noticed. Either way it is okay though because really this is for me. I want to remember this stuff someday as silly and random as it seems.
Anyway so this last week I realized something. I realized that I had become okay around here with things that are absolutley not okay. I was over looking and ignoring things that my kids were doing that desperatley need to be addressed. So my priorites have changed and I have placed discipline and training and shaping my kids near the very very top. And guess what? We all feel so much better. They are happier even though they have had to endure some more severe punishment that I truly hate to be the enforcer of. They are still so much happier. They know how I am going to respond. They know what they are not allowed to do. (They knew it before but lately I think they doubted if I would follow through and do anything about anything.) Daddy is happier because Mommy is happier and the kids are more fun to be with. And I feel more at peace and there is so much more joy in doing a better job at my job. I don't know exactly how I lost my way for a little while. But my hope is that I can continue to do the work that it takes to do my job which is to raise kids that respect and love God and others.

Halle is learning a lot about behavior that is not okay in the Lippen household. The crying and whining is being ignored to the point of painfulness but I think that she is getting the point. She is learning if she is going to throw a fit because she does not agree with mommy that she will have to do it in her own room and not disrupt the rest of the family. She is learning that mommy loves her so much and wants to play with her but that she can't always do it right now and that sometimes you are going to have to wait for a better time.

Bryce and Ella are just being reminded of what they already know- that mommy is absolutely all the time, never changing, no amount of whining altering, unequivocally in charge. And also that if you say a non loving thing or raise a finger towards your sibling you had better prepare yourself for the consequences.

Anyway there is just so much to learn and talk about and discover when you are 6, almost 4, and 21 months (especially 21 months.) And when I am working and see 12 year olds crying about the decision of what to eat for dinner or 7 year olds crawling under the table and not responding to the question of what do you want for lunch or 10 year olds running through the restraunt or just kids that don't say thank you or may I please have..., I remember how important it is for these little people to keep on learning and growing .

So I guess I am back in more than one way.

1 comment:

Heather Fretz said...

Well said! I love this post.